Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Skin Cancer PSA and Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence Review

  I was going to work on my review of my FOMO box sheet masks but I got sidetracked scrolling through Facebook and found a music video by my favorite rapping doctor ZDoggMD. With the temps and the sun in the desert ramping up to the full blast-oven like conditions this week he re-posted his PSA video called "Bad Skin" a parody about the perils of going without sunscreen to tune of Taylor Swifts "Bad Blood". 
Take a look, it's hysterical:




  As your average Facebook troller this is hilarious and yet well timed. As a nurse it hammers home what I already know about skin cancer and how high the rates are, especially out here in the desert. My husband is always rolling his eyes as I habitually check out his skin spots after he showers and hem and haw. Hell I've even whipped out a tiny ruler to check if one particularly concerning spot had grown (it hadn't). In nursing school they spent a fair amount of time hammering into my head how to identify (the ABCDE's) a potentially cancerous skin spot. I used to roll my eyes at the tedium of memorizing and looking at moles in a textbook, but after working a few years in the ER with people coming in with all sorts of weird skin issues that had gotten way out of hand I realized how important this is.

  So here are the ABCDE's of skin cancer:


  If you see any of these ABCDE's in your skin spots(or are in doubt) please have them checked out. Preferably not in the ER, let's leave that for emergencies!

  So that being said we all know that the best protection against skin cancer is to limit your sun exposure, cover up and reach for sunscreen. I must admit I have a hard time with sunscreen,US sunscreens always break me out and I often relied on my foundation or BB to give me some SPF. Bad! I know. But that has changed after reading Fiddy's blog and what she uses. 


Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence 

  This is a sunscreen made for the Japanese market that Fiddy has extolled the virtues of in many posts, so I figured what the heck lets give it a try. So I hopped on Amazon and bought a tube. I paid a touch more to get it here faster, but you can generally find it for about $10 or under. This sunscreen boasts a 50 SPF and Fiddy swears it goes on smooth with no greasy feel or white cast to the face. This sunscreen does NOT contain Titanium or Zinc oxide, for me this is a blessing because my skin does not play well with these ingredients, but if you have allergies please take the time to check out the ingredients at CosDNA.



  



It feels like a combination of a gel and a cream and comes out of the tube white as you can see. The product really has a nice light weight feel to it and doesn't feel greasy at all.





  
  
  When you apply it it completely disappears into the skin! You can see just a sheen before it dries, but no white cast at all. When it dries it leaves my skin feeling smooth, almost like I just applied a primer. 











 I've used this everyday for a week now and I love the way it melts into the skin and NO skin troubles. It makes it very easy to apply the right amount to my face because I'm no longer in fear of looking like I'm wearing a kabuki mask or breaking out. It holds up well in the heat and my makeup stays put over top very nicely. I never thought sunscreen could feel so...not there! The small tube makes it the perfect size to keep with the rest of my makeup so there are no more excuses of forgetting to put it on. Fiddy does warn that this formula does not hold up to sweat very well, so it is best to keep it for everyday use. I've ordered the longer wearing version of this (Perfect Bright Milk) hopefully armed with both formula's I'll be able to keep my sun damage to a min this summer.

  Please feel free to copy the ABCDE infographic and pass it around! I made it in hopes of helping everyone be able to identify skin cancer early and because melanoma is SO not attractive.

  If you enjoyed ZDoggMD's video please check him out online here, on Facebook here and on YouTube here. The dude is a has a great sense of humor but also is a very passionate healthcare advocate.

  Do you have any tips or holy grails for sun protection? 
Let me hear them in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment